The Power of Money

Marcus - plano, Texas

The Power of Money

I believe that our world is blinded by the power of money. In our society we are brain washed to believe that without money, there can not be internal happiness in one’s life. The reason we struggle with poverty is not because of a lack of good education but because of a lack of the proper funds to support education. Why is it that many people say “Money is the root of all evil”? Is it because the individuals who say this are having negative experiences with money? I tend to agree with that speculation. If money were the root of all evil, then how do you explain a serial killer? I don’t suppose that they kill for the power of money, they kill because they are either mentally disturbed or have been a victim to abuse.

The bible even states that the love of money is the root of all evil, but the true evil lies in the hands of man, not the actual money itself. An absolute power in modern society is money. Money remains the single source of almost all temptations and motivations ever known to man. Today, when social scientists raise ethical issues over the nature of man’s relationship with money, many concur about the constructive potential involved in making it. But at the end of the day the most eternal of all facts is that all of us need it!

The ideas that the rich and poor are equal before the law and that the vote of a rich man counts just as much as those of a poor man are two of the most radical ideas in human history. But money is a nicety everywhere else in today’s civilization, and it threatens or culture. Why is it that a rich person can purchase a finer house, a nicer car, better food, and more enhanced and effective schools? In our society some believe that outside factors control and determine how much money they get in their personal lives.

Many people consider that money makes the world go around. Others believe that money buys happiness. I do not agree with either idea. But I do admit that money can make people do strange things. Let me tell you about a person I once knew who liked to play card games for money. He liked to gamble even though he owned his own business. My friend Devin had a problem because he liked to gamble at all costs. He would play at any time and at any price and lose. Recently, Devin turned to a life of crime after losing all of his money in a gambling game. Is money so powerful that it would make a highly educated grown man switch from owning his own business to turning to a life of crime? Or is money just an influence on man’s evil deeds?