Matthew - Leawood, Kansas

I believe that Leadership is one of the most important lessons I have ever learned. It comes with many qualities. To be a leader, is not something to work for you usually either have it or you don’t. I have it. A leader is a commander, someone who stands up for what they BELIEVE in.

For me, leadership came with experiences. Mainly one experience led me to be the person I am today. I had just moved into the house I am living at today for about 1 year. It was when I was about 11 years old, and I was at my next door neighbor’s birthday party. At the birthday party there was all of my other neighbors that lived near by so I was going to do anything to fit in. We were on our way home, and the birthday boy’s father was giving us party favors. The party favor was silly string. If I really think about it, looking back, that was the problem all along. So anyway, we got our silly string and when we got home we were thinking of what to do with it. One kid thought we should go silly string our innocent neighbor’s car. We all ended up agreeing to it. So we did and we wrote all over it. (Compound Sentence) With our luck it turned out to be below freezing that night so the silly string stuck to the car, since it was so cold. (Compound-Complex Sentence) I ended up being the mature and responsible one and went to the victim’s house to ask if I could do anything to help. So the next Sunday I spent 3 hours cleaning up for them around their house. Whereas my friends did not help out the innocent neighbor but they also learned there lesson. (Complex Sentence)

That experience has helped me look at life in a different way. I do need to think before I do something. I also need to think of the repercussion. The last thing I need to think about is how the other person feels. I can metaphorically take a walk in their shoes. Until this day in time I haven’t done anything even close to that bad. It really taught me a good lesson. When you metaphorically take a look from the victim’s shoes it really stinks. The main thing I learned in my past is that bad actions lead to bad punishments. I do need to think about the other person. (Simple Sentence)

This I Believe: Leadership comes with experiences. I hope everyone will soon look into the big picture, I now know I am starting to I am starting to.