Happily Ever Afters

Holly - Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania

I believe in happily ever after. Although, this is where most fairytales end, I believe this is where they can begin. To live happily ever after is a common dream for almost anyone, but no one has ever told us how it is supposed to happen. We all know the fairytales, and as long as any of them end with the cliché “and they all lived happily ever after” we are left satisfied and cheerful. They also had to end the famous children’s stories with the good guy getting the girl. I remember as a little girl watching Cinderella, it was my dream to become a princess and live a fairytale life and to find the glass slipper to change my world. As I grew up and matured I realized I do not need to be a princess and live in a castle just to live happily ever after, nor was I even close to finding a prince charming on a white horse suitable for me just yet.

In my life right now I am living the dream of what my ideal happily ever after is. Not all happy endings have to end with evil characters being punished by the victorious good guy. Throughout my entire school years I have set many goals for myself. Some goals I had set for myself were just being getting good grades and getting a job that I liked. Facing the occasional road block here and there, I had to look on the bright side and turn it into something good. Having achieved my goals along the way I could not be anymore satisfied with my life.

My senior year in high school is coming to a close and it is my ideal happy ending. As one chapter closes another one is about to open for. I am doing everything I can just to make my happily ever after come true. I have a loving family, almost my dream job, and great friends. Now I have set new goals as I grow up. I have been accepted into a college of my dreams, and now I want to successfully complete four years there and later make my parents proud and move on to veterinary school.

Everyone’s happy ending is different. As Jennifer Nettles once said, “from the beginning we are all looking for a happy ending.” For some it can be every love they have been in, for others it could be landing the job they had wanted for a long time or even the dream of winning. No matter what I believe everyone has a happy ending. You do not need to be a princess and ride off into the sunset to begin a life full of eternal bliss. Our lives are what we make it. We may face a few hardships down the road and we may not always be harmonious and happy forever more like many fiction books, but may we all live happily ever after just as we want to.