Doctor

Brady - Phoenix, Arizona

A few months ago, I wholeheartedly made the decision to become a doctor. It was an exciting feeling; knowing exactly what I was going to do with my life. However, my mother didn’t seem to share my enthusiasm when I informed her of my career choice, responding, “Oh, that’s going to be difficult.” I was insulted. She didn’t take me seriously, and therefore denied me the validation that I was looking for. That’s alright, I told myself. I’ll just have to prove myself.

My sudden revelation that medicine is my rightful path was inspired by a simple discussion with a few of my peers. My good friend Michael brought up the fact that he found his economics class to be fascinating, and that he wants to be a finance major in college. He is a cunning individual, blessed with a good number sense and the charisma to win most of his arguments. Much unlike Michael, my friend Laura is the incessant designer, injecting creativity and style into all of her possessions. She shared her plan to become an interior designer for upper class homes in California. Finally, there is Matt, who has always been intrigued by meteorology.

Upon hearing their ambitions, I became afraid that I was a boring person. I have no obtuse quirks in my personality. I am without any unique skills or talents. I don’t have any particular interest in an occupation. Would I be doomed to settle for a random, mediocre career because I am not cut out for anything?

I began to think about my redeeming qualities: I like to challenge myself and I derive great joy in helping people. I wanted to do something that would earn me recognition as a good person. It wasn’t until I was watching the television show Scrubs later that night that I considered the possibility of becoming a doctor. It is a profession that encompasses the values to which I aspire: sacrifice, honor, dedication. I asked my friends what they thought.

“I don’t know, dude. You have to be like, really smart,” said Michael.

“Do you really want to go to school for ten more years?” asked Laura.

“It’s expensive!”

It just didn’t seem to fit with them, Brady being a doctor. However, I was confident. Who cares if I’m not cut out for it? I choose to be cut out for it. It has become my goal in life, ensuring that I study hard and stay away from temptations that would disadvantage me. More than that, it has become a new identity. To me, a doctor represents the kind of person that I choose to be.