Happiness on Wheels

Scott - Glen Burnie, Maryland
Themes: sports

I believe that people doing what they love to do makes them content and happy people.

It was back around the year of 2001 when my cousin came to visit from Texas for the summer. He brought along with him a decent amount of video games. One game that stood out from the pile was Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater. I quickly inserted it into my Nintendo 64 turned on the television. A few hours later, I was pretty much hooked on that game. It was a thrill to combine tricks to score higher points and unlock more places to skate around in. Later on that summer the X-Games appeared on television. A lot of the professional skateboarders in the game showed up to the event. One by one, they interviewed the skaters, revealing their fame, fortune, and lifestyles. I, 11 years old at the time, thought to myself, “Wow, these guys have it all only by skateboarding. I want to be like them one day.”

It wasn’t long until I finally got my hands on my very first skateboard – a cheap knock-off brand skateboard from the local Toys R Us store. I was astonished that I finally had a skateboard, and thought to myself, “I’ll be just like the pros in no time!” I didn’t realize that was such an exaggeration.

It may take weeks or a couple of hours depending on the person to improve on something. For me, skateboarding did not come easy. It took me a long month or so to casually push on a skateboard. For some people, it doesn’t take long to learn a trick. For example; jumping with a skateboard can take people a few weeks or so. It took me about a year of perfecting and analyzing what exactly had to be done.

It wasn’t until lone that I met someone locally who also skated. He lived in the neighborhood adjacent to mine. I was amazed at the tricks he could do. For a second, I really thought he was sponsored. I also found out my neighbors across the street also skated. One day, we all met up in my neighborhood and went to another friend’s house that didn’t live far from all of us. Everyday after school we would all meet up with each other and skate until it was time to go back home for dinner. Their friends would also come to skate and our group of skateboarders would start to build up.

We were not limited to skating in each other’s neighborhoods. There would be days where we would skate around the town and try to find stairs and curbs to skate. It was like an adventure on wheels – little polyurethane wheels on a piece of wood, that is. In Glen Burnie, finding places to skate was also very limited. For one, a spot we would find could either be private property or guarded by security. Anything of that nature would have us kicked out in a matter of minutes. Usually spots like that were the best places to skate. Who knew there would be a lot of good places to skate? It could be something like, “Wow, look at that five-stair set!” or, “Hey, check that ditch out, let’s skate it!”

At one point in someone’s skateboarding life, one goal he or she would like to achieve is getting sponsored and getting paid what you love to do. Even if someone doesn’t make it that far, they should be proud of what they do. Skateboarding isn’t just about getting sponsored. Along the way people can meet new people and discover many hidden areas around town that can be skated. People can go on many adventures and grow closer to their friends, and also get to know the many aspects of skateboarding. Me, personally, skateboarding makes me happy because it is something I enjoy doing and will probably never get tired of. I think it’s a phenomenon that a piece of wood with wheels can make people really happy.