Hungry For Greatness

Eric - Los Angeles, California

In a sandwich the two slices of bread are just as essential as what goes in the middle, but the bread is always there. The middle takes more thought and time; the oldest and the youngest are there, but the middles child has to put up with the other two and still be a better person, while living in the shadow of the oldest. The middle child is always put into a lot of stress. I go through so much stuff that it has changed me. I believe that being the middle child is getting the chance to be great.

Being in the middle means getting screwed over by the other two. Every time my sister would drop her glass of milk, I would get yelled at for not watching her, and every time my brothers would tell me to hide something, I would get caught re-handed, and I would get the boring lecture. Well all those lectures and lickings taught me how to be more cautious and less naïve, I learned the importance of responsibility and obviously what happens when you neglect it.

My responsibilities become greater because I live in the shadow of my two older brothers, and I am the role model for my younger sister. Siblings are usually compared to their older more responsible brothers/sisters, but I am always told how I will end up just like my screw up brothers. Sometimes I can’t understand how people can read the bible and believe it, they know that god has created us all different that we all make our own decisions for us, yet they can still tell me you will end up a deadbeat just like your brothers. My sister on the other hand is still very young she has not been conditioned that she will follow in the footsteps of her brothers. I am the person that will show her the way around the block, it is my job to show her right from wrong. This scares me sometimes because if she makes a wrong decision that will affect the rest of her life it will be on my conscience for the rest of my life. Knowing this I learned that I cannot be a child forever, as much as I wish so it just can’t be. I need to grow up and take charge of my life and base my choices on my interests not what people expect from me.

Being the middle child is a lot of pressure but if I can handle it I know I can become something great, I will have the power to change things. In the end the difference between a good sandwich and a great sandwich is, a great sandwich takes a lot more time to make and it tastes way better.