Loosing Isn’t So Bad

Blaire - Kempton, Indiana
Themes: purpose

Until a few years ago, I had never taken the time to understand what the meaning behind the saying; everything happens for a reason, was. Today, for every negative event that occurs in life, there is a reason behind it. Throughout my life, I have heard my dad say, “Everything happens for a reason.” I have always heard this, but I never understood what the real meaning behind it was.

I gave the famous five paragraph FFA Creed at our district contest my freshman year. I had had it memorized for five months and knew it in my sleep. I got in the room with the judges and began saying it. Everything was going perfect. I came out of the room and everyone asked how it had gone and of course, I said, “Great! I nailed it.” Well, little did I know, I had just changed part of my life.

As they were announcing the winners at the end of the night, I thought for sure I easily had it in won. My name was never called. I was in complete shock. Mr. Price, my advisor, asked me if I had forgotten a paragraph because he heard someone had and they were going to win if it they hadn’t. Of course, I said, “No. I’m pretty sure I would realize if I forgot an entire paragraph!”

We got the score sheets right before we left that night. Sure enough, I had been the one who forgot the third paragraph and I was devastated to say the least. All the way home I sat in shock saying, “How could I have done that? How?” Since I didn’t win, I wasn’t able to continue to state. That third paragraph cost me my goal of participating in the state contest my freshman year.

Instead of staying at home the week of state convention, I decided to go to

4-H State Junior Leader Conference (SJLC). I thought it was stupid and wanted to leave once I got there. I toughed it out the four long days and survived. Instead of being at state convention, I met one of my best friends, Robin Kleine, at SJLC. Robin and I have a lot in common, we both show livestock, we’re both going to schools out west, and the list goes on and on. Even after not seeing each other in almost two years, we still talk on a weekly basis and are still very good friends.

Looking back on all the tears cried and frustrations, I’m actually glad that I forgot the third paragraph and didn’t get to go to state convention. Both of my parents have told me many times, “Everything happens for a reason.” There is some reason why I forgot the third paragraph, maybe it was to teach me a lesson or meet a best friend. I still don’t know what happened on March 20, 2006 or why, but I’m glad it happened for whatever reason.