Strength

Yvette - Phoenix/AZ

This I Believe: Strength

Strength is defined as having the capability to be strong. So what does it mean to be strong? There are many different definitions to this word, such as physically powerful, forceful, persuasive, effective, in good health, force of character, and so on. But strength is not always a physical thing. I believe having mental strength is a major component in order to be where you want to be and who you want to be in life. Believing in oneself is an important constituent in having strength and being a strong person because self confidence exudes power and shows that you know what you are doing and take yourself seriously. However, sometimes strength does not come automatically; it is something that builds throughout our lives.

I am not one who has been blessed with a strong physical appearance, but I have grown to have a strong character and mind of my own. One event that has helped build my strength was the death of my grandfather when I was thirteen years old. My grandfather had gotten ill so my mother traveled to go see him. When we heard that he had passed, I knew I would have to be strong for when my mother came home. It was a very hard time for her and nothing we did or said was enough to console her, so I could not show her that I was affected by the event too. Although it was hard to take, I became stronger in the sense that I out aside my own feelings and was there for my mother when she needed me.

Strength is definitely built throughout one’s life and takes time to come together. There are many situations where strength can be helpful such as my mother’s situation. One needs to be strong in order to deal with pain and sorrow, as well as to help others among them. When someone you care about is in need, whether they need you to be there for them or they do not have the physical capacity to do something, strength always carries us to care for someone we love.