I Believe In Equality

Deidr`e - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: equality

GLBT- when I first heard of this, it was my freshman year of high school and my friend, Sam and I were at the Louisville Public Library downtown, looking for books to read when she found Luna: a novel. That year, in Communications class, we had to do a persuasive speech and I did mine on recognizing and treating transsexuals as human, not some diseased animal, or a mutated human being. Since then I’ve researched more about GLBT and the history of the GLBT. In it, I found a cause to express my love for Freedom, Beauty, Equality, and Love.

GLBT- the organization best known as being a fighter for Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual-Transsexual rights. History has brought America and the world where it is today.

I was going to start this paper by saying ‘This I believe… I believe in…’, but then I realized, saying that statement is like saying that the thought can waver and be forgotten because it’s located in the mind. But, this paper is from the heart, not the mind of a bisexual. My parents, F and T, are both women and have been together for almost thirty years. I listen to them and their stories about their youths, and I cry. I cry because today, in my generation, we have so many rights, but they’re still not enough. My dad, T, will never be able to claim me as hers on taxes in the State of Kentucky, and if something were to happen to them, I would go to my Godparents… but I’m scarred that I won’t.

What I believe in is a dream, a dream where children of same-sex couples can be claimed by both parents, where transsexual men and women can get Sex Reassignment Surgery in their own state, where lesbians don’t have to be paranoid about being raped, where gay men don’t have to worry about being beaten by ex-friends, and where bisexuals can openly be with whomever they love.

But this dream, I wish to become real. For this dream has been alive since mankind has been alive, and the open movement of this dream has been around in America since the 50s, and I pray that it will be reality for my children and grandchildren.

I don’t want to country to be entirely GLBT, but open acceptance would be nice. A world of peace is all I hope for, it is all I dream of. A “paradise” of acceptance and equality for all people of all ethnicities and of all nations.

This is my dream of heart, not belief of mind.

This is what I believe.