This I believe: Keep your goals and allow nothing to ruin them.

Lauren - fairfield, Connecticut

As I remember since I was younger dance was always apart of what people knew about me and what I enjoyed to do. It was an obvious dream of mine to be on stage applauded for my talent. That was my goal, and a few years ago it seemed all too far away. I came to my belief through my experience with negative news that I thought would get in the way of achieving what I wanted. A few years ago I had been in a traumatic horse accident. Being thrown off the back of the horse and having to feel the pain of having my knee crushed under its hooves was just the beginning of something that I never thought would happen. I believe that people should keep their goals, and allow nothing to ruin them.

I was always told you can be whatever you want, create dreams and strive for them; but no one ever told me what to do if something was to ruin them. Discovering that even after 3-4 years after the accident my injury hadn’t healed I was told I needed to have surgery; and even after this surgery my knee would never be the same again. The doctor told me “your dance will be affected by this, how much? I don’t really know”. The feeling I had in the pit of my stomach was something I wished upon no one.

Though the doctor told me my dance would be affected by this drastic change I told my self “I believe that I should keep my goal and allow nothing to ruin it.” Sure I wanted to sink into the pit of depression dealing with the pain, but I felt my self will would be strong enough to help me through it.

So after I was cleared I eased right back into dance forgetting what the doctor had said to me, now I am achieving my goal completely. “The greatest thing about man is his ability to transcend himself, his ancestry and his environment and to become what he dreams of being.”- Tully C.Knoles. Keep your goals, and allow nothing to ruin them, this I believe.