The Power of Love

Emily - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: love, setbacks

I believe in the power of love. Not the romantic, mushy kind, but the strong, unbreakable kind found in best friendships and family ties. This is the kind of love that can move mountains. This is the love that gives us strength to go on when we have no more, and hope when we have no more patience for belief. I was born ten weeks early. Then I lived in the hospital for seven more weeks in an incubator. I was born with a heart murmur, atosis in my right eye, and a kidney that refused to behave. When I was finally allowed to go home, I had to have an apnea monitor that monitored my heart rate and breathing at all times. My mother says that I survived because I am a tenacious fighter, something that had turned into teenage attitude in more recent years. However, I believe that I survived because of the love and support that I received from my family at a young age.

This kind of support has helped me to cope with situations that threatened to break me apart. When I turned fifteen my life turned upside-down. My father received a job offer from Scottsdale Insurance, an important opportunity. My father accepted the job and left Ohio for Phoenix while my mother, sister, and I prepared to follow him after the school year finished. I thought my life was over. I clung to my best friend. We were together all of the time right up until the day we left for Phoenix. After moving we called or emailed each other almost everyday. We continue to tell each other everything, providing a support that allows me to take risks and believe in myself.

Then I started my junior year in high school. I thought that I was doing great. I had finally settled into school and I had also found a good group of friends at my church. Or so I thought. I was so excited to have gotten involved in the youth group at my church. I was included in a group of girls who were all seniors in high school, I was the only junior. I thought it was wonderful. Then I discovered the “Queen Bee” of the group had decided to cut me off. She began spreading lies about me, telling the other girls not to sit with me in choir or youth group. I was stunned. One of the girls, Amanda, soon became one of my best friends when she refused to follow the crowd, helping me to realize that I could rise above what had happened. She also helped me to find forgiveness for those girls. Without the support that she gave me, I would have had a much harder time letting go of the anger and hurt that I felt. Friends and family help us to survive together where we would have failed alone.

Everyday we face trials, tests, and obstacles that are an important part of life. Instead of trying to face it all alone, I believe that we should reach out to those who care about us and ask for help. Life changing events do not come along every day, but that does not mean that we have to carry our loads alone. Obstacles will come along in life, and it is comforting to know that help is there if you need it.