America’s Role Model

Michael - phoenix, Arizona

I Believe

I believe that America’s youth needs a new role model. Many teens seem to think that being a gangster is popular. My future career as a Law Enforcement Officer is what makes this topic so important to me. When I walk down the halls at school I see at least one group of individuals who are all dressed and act like gangsters.

With a gangster as a role model it will increase the already prevalent gang problem. A lot of high school students already dislike police officers but if you show them that it is okay to fight or kill them they will. This is why it is important that their idol is changed to show gangs for the menace to society they really are.

Whenever I go on police ride alongs people look a us with a glance of disgust. I can feel the tension of hatred in their eyes. Wherever you go in a cop car people stare at you with a look of ill content. Schools do not stop the trend either, everyday I see at least 15 gang related periphenilia at school. Even though these signs are clearly visible the teachers do not dress code them. Students write gang signs in notebooks and nobody cares.

Police officers protect the citizens and should be respected not hated. If the example of a gangster is glorified then more teens will become gangsters and less will become law enforcement officers. After a while the gang problem will continue to grow with out resistance and become out of hand.

Having a more Police friendly trend will decrease crime rates and gang activity. Every time I see a teen dressed as a gangster I get mad since they are supporting the killing of Law Enforcement personal. I wish that America realizes what a problem this is and takes drastic measures to ensure the safety of officers and civilians by deglorifing the gangster persona.