A Servant to the Poor

Victoria - Tempe, Arizona

I believe in meeting the needs of the least of thee. In Matthew 25:40, Jesus says, ‘’I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’’ I learned the importance of this quote when I went to Tijuana with Mexico Caravan Ministries over Spring Break. There I realized my duty as a citizen of this world. I am called to meet the needs of those who cannot meet their own. Millions of people do not have houses, running water or enough food for one meal a day. Being able to understand how the less fortunate live, gives me the motivation to help in ways that I have never dreamed possible. It can be as simple as donating food or building a 12’x12’ house. Often, it is the necessities that we take for granted. Ever since Mexico, I have realized how blessed I truly am. I have a roof over my head; I eat three meals a day and I have a closet full of clothes. Yet, over half of the world lives on less than $2 a day. Sadly, that will not even support my Starbucks habit. Compared to the rest of the world, I am wealthy and yet I take it all for granted. If I only gave up drinking coffee or stopped going out to eat, I could provide clothing, food, clean water and an education for two children in a foreign country. Despite this knowledge, I still go out and buy unnecessary things and am than convicted because I know that money could be better spent.

Often times I get frustrated when I see people that are not well off because I assume they are lazy and their poverty is due to their lack of motivation. For those people, I do not have compassion. But I am beginning to understand that there are so many people that work long hours just to provide for their families and the money they earn is simply not enough. Those are the people who deserve help. As I grow, I want to continue to develop a servant’s heart. I never want to forget my experience in Mexico and I never want to give up trying to help others. I believe if more people begin to care for the least of thee, the world will truly be a better place.