Living in the Moment

Katy - Tempe, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living in the moment.

I often find myself thinking about the past or worrying about the future. Whenever I worry, I forget that I am relaxing in my secure house with my loving family, and with enough money to comfortably afford an overpriced iced tea, pretty much daily. While sometimes I can’t help but worry, I have realized that I can’t let past events or fear of the future hinder me from enjoying what is happening in the present.

It’s okay to take a moment to relax. You don’t need to feel guilty about doing the things that make you happy, or spending your spare time relaxing instead of constantly being productive. You also don’t need to thoroughly re-live the past in order to move on to the future. Just because you are graduating from high school doesn’t mean you should be forced to look back at everything you will be missing. However, this doesn’t mean you should be stressed out about planning your entire future, either. Enjoy the fact that in less than a week there will be another summer vacation, and we can all finally sleep in for once.

I also believe in laughter.

Nothing has helped me get through these last few stressful weeks of school more than looking forward to Thursday nights at eight when The Office is on. Although it is just a show, and the characters are not real, nothing delights me more than experiencing the relationship between Michael and Toby or watching Jim slam Dwight’s face into the back of his car seat.

Even though we all don’t watch The Office, we all have something or someone that makes us laugh. No matter what is going on in our lives, we can’t help letting our sprits be lifted by a hilarious event or comment. It even seems like when our spirits are down we desperately search for the humor in our surroundings, causing us to laugh at things that aren’t even funny. A life without comedy to me seems very empty. I believe that the key to happiness is to be grateful for what is happening in the present, and to find something, or someone, to keep us laughing.