Unconditional Love

Michelle - Phoenix, Arizona

When I was diagnosed with profound hearing loss at the age of one, my mother truly did not know what to do. After seeing her firstborn grow to be a happy, healthy boy, she was not prepared to take care of a second child who lived in a completely silent world; laughter and music did not exist, where every sound was empty and blank as though someone had sucked the life out of it completely. Despite how unprepared she was, she still accepted her responsibility, embracing me with open arms, showering me with unconditional love.

As a result, eighteen years later, I am standing before you, reading an essay that I had written in the midst of fellow classmates’ chats, techno music, and spurts of random laughter. Just last week, I was able to enjoy the rich notes of music we created at our final band concert. In a matter of a few days, I will be graduating from high school, ready to tackle another four years at Arizona State University, with plenty of scholarship money in my pocket. How is this possible? Two words: unconditional love.

Without my mother’s unconditional love, I do not think I would have gotten as far as I have today. In the midst of chaos and stress, I believe unconditional love helps to push everyone, motivating them to take the next big step forward. It also intertwines these people, strengthening their relationship for the future. As a result, they can overcome many obstacles together, rather than alone. If my mother did not have the patience, I would have never succeeded in pronouncing the ‘s’ sound. If my mother had stopped believing in me, I would not have maintained good grades throughout high school. Without her encouragement, I would not have been able to play the piano and clarinet as well as I can today. Without her endless support, I would not have believed that I could achieve just as much as everyone else. Most of all, with her unconditional love, I was able to break apart from the silent world, entering a new place where sweet sounds of music and laughter make life altogether more vibrant.