A Grand Way to Change

Siobhon - Laveen, Arizona

I believe serving others makes you a better person. Through my church, I have several opportunities to complete different acts of community service and help others. On one particular occasion, my group leaders told us that we were going to go to an old single woman’s house to clean up the house and backyard. If there is one thing in this world that I do not like, it is cleaning. I really did not want to go. I was on the verge of skipping out on that activity when my parents told me either go, or else I would be grounded. I was furious! Thinking about how much I was going to hate this, I got in my car and slowly drove to the meeting spot.

When I got there, I was assigned to mop the kitchen floor, dust the nick-knacks, and help weed the garden. I thought this was a bit too much for me to handle, so I started to complain. Then, one of my companions stepped in and said she would help me with my tasks. I was dumbfounded. Why would someone want to do more tedious work on top of their own cleaning? I thanked her and my attitude started to change. I was still angry about having to come to this old lady’s house to clean, but I thought it might not be so bad after all because everyone was there doing it together. I grabbed a duster and started my chores. I had never dusted before that day and I found out it really was not as bad as I had previously thought. I looked around and saw everyone cleaning with a smile on their face, laughing and joking around. I realized I had a scowl on my face and decided to cheer up because it really was not boring or hard. I changed my attitude from bitter to cheerful in a few minutes. After I was done dusting, I saw how much better her shelves looked. I was proud of the work I had accomplished. I finished the rest of my assignments, forgetting about their difficulty and how much I resisted them. After we were done, the old lady thanked us over and over again. By this time, I felt extremely good. Serving people is something that can change your attitude completely around, while teaching you how to be kind to others.