Afrodite - perrineville, New Jersey
Themes: children

I believe in youth. I believe in carnivals, beach parties, and young love. I believe in making mistakes, so I can learn from them. I believe it is okay to skip school once in a while even if you just sleep your day away. I believe in kissing and not telling, because if you tell then that’s no fun. I believe in being young. I believe in the exuberance of youth.

Youth is about being innocent. It’s about exploration and finding yourself while enjoying the years of having no obligations and no cares in the world.

As you grow older, the more responsibilities that are thrown at you slowly take away your youth. The days that you want to sleep in late and then go out to lunch with your friends are the days that you realize you are eighteen years old and have to go to work to pay for that lunch. When you’re young, the only care in the world is about yourself and having fun. As people age, they lose that carefree youth without realizing it. Consequently, it is important to be young and have fun, even when you’re fifty years old.

It’s springtime, which means college decision time. Where will I go? For most, the college process is easy- find a college, apply, get accepted, go! As for me, it feels like there are fifty states that are calling my name. Now is the time that I want to slack off most and ditch school for the beach. Although now is the time to sit down and wonder, where do I want to live two months from now? The more I stress about my future, the less of a teenager I am.

I am a senior at Allentown High School and I have one month left before I enter the “real world.” I will go to college, although I don’t know where yet, and like most eighteen years olds, I will study hard and party hard! I want to be a nurse and I want to be an amazing mother. I will show my kids that even when they’re thirty years old, its okay to have two ages, as long as they’re happy with themselves.

Amelia Baxter-Stoltzfus, an anthropology student at the University of Chicago once said, “We can’t be toddlers or teenagers forever.” But why not? Why can’t we be youthful and responsible at the same time? I believe in being any age I want. I believe in youth.