I Believe – The Power of Spirit and Positive Thinking

Peter - Palo Alto, California

I believe in the human spirit and the power of positive thinking. It is our spirit which drives us to new heights, teaching us along the way to trust ourselves, to trust our intuition, and to trust our imagination. The power of positive thinking reveals itself in our daily lives, in our manner of conduct, and in how we perceive and are perceived by others. Positive thinking does not mean being ignorant to those things which may be worrisome or bothersome. Instead, it lends itself to direction in our lives, coordinating our sometimes seemingly disparate thoughts to persuade us to happiness, even in the most trying times.

The world portrayed by popular culture and the mass media is an elaborately decorated façade. They would have us believe that the world is coming to a screeching halt, that the future is dead. With police blotters headlining the daily local news “reports” it would seem that murder and mayhem rule our streets, that more deaths are occurring than births, and that our society, in short, is tearing apart. I don’t buy that story. While it is true that those events described in the news are happening, there are other events, more magnificent and meaningful, which are also occurring but are easily overlooked. Take for example a very simple concept: working together. Everyone works with someone else. When you grocery shop, when you take a bath, when you cook a meal, or telephone a friend; the world is run on teamwork. Companies work together to bring food to our stores. Public utilities departments work together to bring water to your bath and electricity to your kitchen. And teamwork is required to have friends at all.

Finding pleasure in the simple aspects of living is the type of positive thinking that is good for the human spirit, promoting personal wellness. With constant bombardment from product advertisements to consumer reviews, from television and movies to video games and the internet, the wellness of the human spirit is pushed to the back of the mind, away from a duly missed nurturing state. The spirit needs time to fill out, to grow wise as we move through our lives. Time spent in reflection, in meditation, and in rest is the way in which we can foster our spirit, allowing it to help our imaginations and fuel the drive to make connections from our motivations to our decisions throughout our lives. Understanding and taking advantage of our ability to truly know ourselves is innately human, but unfortunately often relegated to the rear of daily endeavors. I believe the human spirit, grown through active participation in positive thinking can influence our happiness, and can create more meaningful, colorful, experiences in life.