Make Every Day Worth Living

Donovan - San Luis Obispo, California
Themes: carpe diem

People all across the world should live to Carpe diem, seize the day, every moment of their lives. Too many people live under the notion that if they work hard this week, then they will be able to relax and have some fun this upcoming weekend. This belief would be appropriate if we all saw our own futures and knew exactly when and how we were going to die. However, in reality no one is capable of knowing his or her end. Everyone should strive to work hard, but it is also important to play hard as well.

People should always give their best effort at work. Working hard for some people could mean that they work long hours, while to others it means using their time efficiently and not wasting it. Since I am student, hard work means writing papers, creating models, and taking tests, all in a timely manner. No matter what obstacles prevent people from reaching their goals at work, – such as distractions, regulations, low-pay, and racism– people must figure out how to get around them. A person’s hard work alone should raise his or her self-esteem even before that person reaches his or her goals. Working hard may not necessarily mean having a standard paying job; it could be anything that keeps someone motivated and improves personal development.

Although working hard in a meaningful occupation is critical to a person’s mental health, there must be an equal balance with play. People should play as hard if not harder than they work in order to develop and exercise social and recreational skills. Playing hard includes things such as going on a hike or playing football. Do not confuse playing and relaxing as the same thing. Although relaxing is also enjoyable it is not the same as going on a hike or playing football with your friends, it is more like spending quality time with friends and family or watching a movie. One way I often like to relax is simply looking at the hills in San Luis while walking to class. Playing means something different for everyone, but it gives all human beings satisfaction, fulfillment, purpose, and inspiration.

Unfortunately there are few people among us who are actually able to live each day with a good balance between hard work and play. Although there are many who are able to work hard and play hard, most are incapable of doing both equally through the day. It is just as unhealthy for someone to play all day as to work all day; that person must strive to accomplish both on an everyday basis. This is why I believe we must both work hard and play hard if we are to make every day worth living.