I Believe in Laughter

Caitlin - Tipton, Indiana

I Believe in laughter. I don’t mean the fake, nervous, forced laughter. I believe in the kind of laughter that starts in your gut, and bubbles up your throat, and forces its way out of your mouth. It’s the laughter that gets your through a tough time, and makes you forget about your troubles, even for a brief moment.

Laughter. It may seem like such a small thing, but I’ve come to realize lately that it’s not always the big things in life that are important, it’s a million little things. I’ve hit some pretty low points in my life. I know you’re what you’re thinking. “You’re only 17, You don’t know what a low point is yet!” But you have to remember, a 17 year-old girls emotion’s are like a roller coaster. Recently, I’ve been given a gift. A sense of humor and a good set of friends to put my humor to use. It sounds superficial, I know, but time and laughter have helped me grow and mature, and I think, as long as I can laugh at myself and other things, I’ll keep growing.

Even if you don’t agree with the fact that laughter is one of the greatest joys of life, you can’t deny that it keeps things light. A good friend once said we’re all like grapes. We may have a bitter core, our seed, but around that seed is something soft and sweet. I believe we all started from that seed and we’ve grown into something soft and sweet, and if it weren’t for laughter, our hearts we be so heavy we would fall off the vine, and stay bitter forever. Laughter is the seed planted in your heart that grows into the smile on your face everyday. It keeps you lighthearted, so you don’t have to carry a heavy heart from day to day.

Think about it, when life has dealt you’re a crummy hand, there’s nothing better than a good laugh. Looking back, I’m happy to have grieved over the bad things in life, but I’m happier I laughed away the bitter tears and ended up laughing till I cried tears of joy. Laughter isn’t an art. You don’t have to be an expert to giggle. That’s the beauty of it. Everyone can laugh. Laughter is more than the simple joy you feel now and then. It’s the moments in-between concentration for you to just relax, and the joke that saves you from the awkward moment when your biggest secret is revealed to all your friends. It’s the email you get from your co-worker that makes your day, and the silly things your dogs do when they think you aren’t looking. It’s the glue that binds my friendships together, and the icing on the cake of my family. This is what I believe; laughter is good for your soul, and if you think I‘m crazy for believing it, go ahead and laugh at me.