Family Unity

Thomas - COLUMBUS, Georgia

I believe in large family unity and togetherness, this is what is driving me to write this essay. It is very important for large family’s to always be connected, and in touch with each others life. The first way I think it is important for family’s to be together is by having gatherings every month or quarter of the year. Next is by taking a large family vacations every year and planning family functions on these trips. The last way I think it is important to keep family unity is by living near enough to see family members every now and then at random. I have always enjoyed having such a close family, and these ways are how we keep our family so close.

My family loves to have family birthday parties every month. When we have these parties some one will volunteer their house to hold the party, and the rest of the family members will bring food and necessary items for this party. I do have a large family so there is typically anywhere from four to seven people with a birthday in a month. Back to the party once we all get there usually on a weekend; we sit around and talk for a few hours. Then we will either eat lunch or dinner, and open presents. This time of the party is always fun, especially when there are young kids having a birthday that month. After we open gifts the whole family has cake and ice cream and talks a little more over coffee. These parties usually end late when everyone is tired and ready to go to bed for the night. I now that I always look forward to going to this party every month, even when it is not my birthday.

The absolute best thing about having a large family that loves to be around each other is, family vacations. For the past eighteen years of my life we have been going on family vacations every year. We typically pick a time around the fourth of July, to go somewhere for a whole week. Since we always go in the summer time, we usually end up at a beach somewhere along the eastern seaboard or the Gulf of Mexico. Once we have actually gotten to or vacation spot we do several things together every day, like sit on the beach for hours and eat meals together. My family loves to cook out so several nights out of the week we will get some seafood and eat at the vacation house. There are several nights where we will go out for fancy dinners, but I prefer the calmness of being at home. I really think that this is what holds my family together the most of all the things we do.

This last thing is probably the least important of the three, but it is still a very important part of every day life. It is not strange for me to see five or six of my family members every day of the week; it does however make it a whole lot easier to get in trouble. I really like seeing my family unexpectedly, it makes for an interesting conversation and something to talk about at dinner. When you are forced to see people you really do not want to see them all the time, but when it just kind of happens that’s usually when you have the most fun with them.

I really enjoy being around my family, if you can not already tell from my paper and I think it is important. If other families would do more of these tings I think it would make their relationship a lot better off. When you have a close family it really gives you a lot to fall back on, a safety net really and it is always good to have one of those on your side in this battle we call life.