I believe in Commitment

Candace - Tipton, Indiana

If promises were never kept we would live in a sad world. There would be no incentive for good deeds, and no punishment for crimes. There would be no helping the poor, or looking out for anyone less fortunate. The very world as we know it would virtually be thrown into a state of anarchy.

I believe in commitment. I feel that if someone makes a promise to friend, a sports team, or anything they should follow through with what they promise. It doesn’t matter how small, or big, the commitment is because people are counting on you.

When I was in sixth grade I joined cheerleading and track. I had never been involved in any extra-curricular activities before this, so I wasn’t aware of the dedication it would take. I quickly found out that being on a sports team meant attending every practice, even if I didn’t feel like it. I also found out, the hard way, that if I didn’t want to be there, I still had to try.

My step-dad is the main reason I feel this way. Although he has made a lot of irresponsible and unforgivable decisions, he is firmly resolute in not quitting. When I told him that I was joining the sport track and the activity cheerleading, because it’s not a sport, he supported me, but also told me that I had to finish the season. Soon after joining track I felt like quitting, but was too afraid to quit. I know that is a terrible reason to stick with something, but it’s true. I ended up finishing the season, and I am really glad that I did because I really liked it.

This situation taught me to always follow through with my commitments. If I had quit track in sixth grade, I would never have been awarded most improved runner. So, I learned that following through with commitments is not only are what trustworthy people do, but also can help someone find a talent they never knew they had.