I believe I Can Fly

Alex - Tipton, Indiana

I Believe I Can Fly

I believe in myself. I believe you have to use your own inner strength and resolve to get through life. I love my family and friends, but they do not define who I am. I am a leader, not a follower. Whether anyone follows the leader is irrelevant. What matters are the experiences I encounter while I’m making my way and how I use them to define who I am.

I attended a 28 day intensive wrestling camp last summer. I flew alone to Minnesota. I had never flown alone before but I wasn’t worried. It was a necessary step to reach my goal. Before I went to the camp, I heard about it from my coaches and other wrestlers. They joked about how I would die if I ever tried to attend. That really motivated me to go for it. I knew in my heart that I had what it took to complete the camp, but unfortunately I was the only one who believed it. When I got there I was anxious to see what they had to throw at us. They had us do the hardest workouts I have ever encountered. I was pushed to my physical and mental limits every single day, but unlike many, I stuck with the camp the entire 28 days and graduated. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The camp really showed me what I was made of and showed me I was strong mentally and that I had the drive to push through the grueling physical challenges. I’ve applied what I learned on the mat in Minnesota to the challenges of everyday life.

My dad died when I was 14. Even though it was the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me, I did not let it impact my life in a negative way. Acting out and throwing my life away was not going to bring my dad back. My dad was a very strong person. I knew I was a strong person because of the things he taught me. I do miss my dad, but I’m proud to be the person he would have wanted me to be.

To believe in yourself is to believe that nothing is insurmountable. It is to have the courage to stand up for what you believe in, even if you’re standing alone. To believe in yourself is to be able to pick yourself up out of darkness and bring yourself into the light. I have proven to myself that I can do anything I put my mind to, no matter what anyone says or what obstacles I face. I believe I can fly.

“The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.” Ayn Rand