I Believe in a Hell of a Handshake

Whitney - Tipton, Indiana

I remember one day I went to the hospital my mom works at to meet her for lunch. Upon walking into her office she tells me that she has someone she wants me to meet. She walks me up a flight of stairs and into a plush office. She introduces me as her daughter to the vice president of the hospital. I do the only thing that comes to mind. I shake the man’s hand. He looks at me for a moment and replies, “You have one hell of a handshake.”

I believe in a hell of a handshake. I believe in the confidence behind this simple action. I also believe that when you shake someone’s hand you are making a first impression. Making the best first impression that you can is one of the most important things that my mother has taught me.

A first impression is a lasting impression. It’s something that you can never take back. Once you have been introduced and shaken the other person’s hand, it’s up to them to make their judgment of you. Human nature is to judge and I would like to be judged as a good person from the time I meet someone. I want to exude confidence and a high sense of self-esteem. I never want to have to walk away from someone and wish I could have made a second first impression. It’s not possible to do.

I have learned over the years that a handshake is not that simple of a task. It must be taken seriously. Too light of a handshake may mean you’re insecure but a firm one can tell volumes. Therefore, I believe in a hell of a handshake.