I Believe Everybody Needs A Vacation

Holly - Cameron Park, California
Themes: pleasure

I believe in going on vacation….A vacation when you leave town for a few days or even a few weeks….Not when you take time off to just stay at home….The vacation where there is no phone, no work or school, no e-mail, no everyday life routine. Taking a vacation helps you reconnect with yourself, spouse, family or friends. It is not very often that people stop to “smell the roses” and appreciate what they do have. Vacation is a “time out” of everyday life for you.

When I was a kid my family would go on vacation every summer. We would discuss where we wanted to go and my dad would tell us how much money he thought we needed to save. He bought a big pink, plastic pig as our piggy bank. We would put all of our hard earned lemonade stand money in there and then the saving would begin. Looking back now, I don’t know how my parents could afford taking six children on a vacation every year.

My favorite vacation as a young child was our road trip to Zion’s National Park. We were gone for two week and it was great! We had so much fun. In everyday life, there was always bickering and fighting between the kids. The fighting and bickering was greatly reduced when we were on vacation. We stayed in dumpy motels, but we didn’t care as long as there was a pool. Every morning we would wake up, eat some breakfast and then we were off to the next destination. It was nice to see my parents laughing and joking with each other and with us. On our hikes we were able to get a little one on one time with each parent. We didn’t have to worry about school, who we were going to play with the next day or what chores we needed to do.

Every time I go on vacation there is a point where I literally feel the stress leave my body. I suddenly stop thinking about what is going on at home or work. It takes a few days, but when it’s gone it’s one of the best feelings. That is when you know, you are truly on vacation relaxing.

Vacation helps to renew and refresh you. To me now, vacation is a way of saying to myself: this is why I work, so I can go on vacation, not just to pay bills. Working and going to school suck the life out of me. If I don’t go on vacation I start getting very irritable, grouchy and negative. I believe everybody needs and deserves a vacation. Most of the time, it’s the little, cheap vacations that are the best for memories. Vacation helps me see my life in a more positive outlook and puts everything into perspective. If I didn’t treat myself to a vacation every year, I would be afraid of the person I would become.