I believe in campfires

Roger - Columbus, Georgia
Themes: community, place

I believe in sitting around a campfire. The campfire is an interesting element of a camping trip, weekend at the lake, or any enjoyable outdoor outing. Its only practical purpose is to provide warmth. The idea of a fire can lead to conflict amongst the campers. People always gripe about having to gather firewood. Campfires often cause argument because every man thinks their fire-building method is far superior to everyone else’s. The campfire is never the main reason to take a camping trip. Fishing, hiking, bird watching, and the like always steal the show. However, I believe the campfire is always the most important part of a camping trip.

The campfire becomes the focal point of the gathering when the sun starts to sneak past the horizon to the West and the air begins to cool. At the end of a fun-filled, active day, everything slows down, and all the stress and tension melts away as all of my friends or family gathers around a campfire. This is when the campfire’s mystical qualities take effect. Its awe-inspiring glow and tender comforting warmth create a relaxing and carefree atmosphere. A campfire can patch up struggling relationships, silence arguments about whose fish was bigger, and make a plain hotdog taste better than any other food imaginable.

I have many great memories from sitting around a campfire with people I care about: sharing scary stories, sharing personal stories, playing cards until four in the morning, gazing at the stars, roasting marshmallows and making s’mores, engaging in life-changing philosophical conversations, making life-long friendships, reminiscing about the past, telling hilarious jokes, and quite a few others. While thinking of a belief grounded in deep past experiences to write about, lots of my best memories from my eighteen years on this planet came to mind, and I realized that most of these memories have a common denominator—the campfire.

In conclusion, not only has the campfire made any camping trip I’ve ever attended enjoyable, but it has also made my life more enjoyable. It has affected my life so much more profoundly than any video game or television show ever could. Therefore, I believe in the importance of a good old-fashioned campfire.