It’s the little things…

Stephanie - Columbus, Georgia

I have a relationship with my close friends that some people may envy. I believe in true friendship and therefore I believe that the people I call my closest friends are true friends. I do not believe in just your everyday friendship. I believe in a relationship that is lasting and is as strong as love. Other people may not understand my friendships, but it is the fact that my friends and I understand each other that makes our friendship true. My truest friendships take time to strengthen, are beautiful when they are new, and take effort to make golden.

My true friendships are old. My friendships write on my car after a long day of school. They share conversations on the roof or in the truck bed of a car. They are good times. They sit with me at Starbucks while I cry and scream and get things worked out and finally out of my system. They act as a chauffer when I would rather not be riding around town with my mommy or need a ride to school. They jam in the car with me and share advice that has more value than anyone else will ever know. They share breakfast with me at Waffle House in the wee hours of the morning while I study for an AP Environmental Science test.

My true friendships are new. They paint me a picture of my favorite animal and unexpectedly give it to me as a Christmas present. They sit with me every morning in my car before we all endure another school day. Sometimes we even toy around with the idea of backing up and taking a day trip to the beach instead. They stay with me in the school parking lot and hold me as tears stream down my face and tell me everything will be all right until I stop crying about the depressing parts of the end of high school. They go out of the way to do the sweetest, most thoughtful things for me. They write me funny notes to brighten my day.

My friendships are a two-way street. They take more than one person. They take getting up long before I would like to on a Saturday morning to tell my friend who lives one thousand eighty nine point forty six miles away good bye. They take going to visit friends at work to see them in their cute little black shoes and red bowtie. They take hosting movie nights, guitar hero days, and Veggie Tales marathons even when my dad hates loud music. They take going over to your house to just sit on the couch and watching a classic Disney movie even when I’d sometimes rather be in the bed, but enjoying every second of it. They take spending the evening out of town and reminiscing before I leave for a month.

Some people say you’ve succeeded in life if you’ve had at least one true friend. Fortunately, God has blessed me with more than one true friend and I cannot thank Him enough for that. I know that the people I close friends now will be lifelong friends and people I will never forget. Though I have these friends I have had my ups and downs with others and because of that I believe in never taking advantage of the people who love me and are willing to do anything for me.