From Honesty Comes Happiness

Taylor - Glastonbury, Connecticut
Themes: integrity

I believe in waking up each morning and deciding that the day will be filled with honesty and happiness. When I was in high school, I went through a rebellious stage that many, including physiatrists and doctors would, and did say was a little more extreme than most adolescents. I had everything I could ask for in life, my parents provided for our family very well, but still for some reason I was not happy, although on the outside it looked as though I was. Because of this unhappiness rooted somewhere deep inside of me, I chose to do things that were unfair, not only to myself, but to everyone around me.

For example, one winter vacation when my parents were going to Florida to visit their parents, I told them I would be in Vermont with my best friend skiing and having fun in the snow for the week. As most parents, mine had some trust in me at the time, and let me go with a few rules and regulations. Well, that week came and my parents were off to sunny Florida, and I was off to my house. Yes, that’s right, my house. I never went to Vermont, nor did I have any intentions of going. I was going to stay home for the week, and have fun on my own, and with friends. Well, the events of that week were all too memorable; until I hit the dear. Driving one night to pick up one of my friends from a party, a dear ran out in the middle of the road and hit my car. The only thing flashing through my mind was that I was caught, and my parents were going to find out I never really went to Vermont. But no, even after that event I lied and told them I was in Vermont when it happened. When they returned home from Florida everything was fine for a day, I thought I had gotten away with everything! But soon to come was the day they found out I had lied about the whole trip.

I was grounded for months, the car taken away for longer than that, but the worst part of the whole experience was the look on both my parents’ faces, the look of frustration, sadness, and hurt. They could have taken away everything that belonged to me that day, but the thing that still would have hurt the most was the fact that I knew how much I hurt them, and how disappointed they were in me.

From that day on, my parents and I still got into fights occasionally; as does every child and their parents, but growing up from then to now, and experiencing things with a whole new outlook truly made me believe in truth and happiness. Each day I wake up, no matter how bad the day before was, whether I have a car, or no car, and I make a pact with myself that on this day I will be happy, and tell the truth no matter how badly it will affect me. My parents are the two most special, honest, trustworthy people I know, and because of them and their profound outlook on life, I have learned so many great lessons, and because of them I have learned to believe that great things will come to you as long as you are honest with yourself and others; and from that comes great happiness.