Natalie - St. David, Maine

I believe that it is OK not to stereotype. The characteristics of a persons exterior do not necessarily describe a persons inner attitude.

As a blonde haired girl, I am a daily guitar hero champ. I love knowing that I am able to play a majority of songs on an “expert” level. I’ve broken through a stereotype by playing a game typically played by boys.

Its OK to break free from the crowd and enjoy something that does not fit a stereotype. You may realize that it is something you would like to proceed with. I first started off playing guitar hero at a friends house. As she would start the video game, I began getting anxious as people would play before me as I had to watch. When it was my turn, my excitement level grew as I embraced the guitar controller and witness the notes advancing towards me on the screen. As my time was up, I would be forced to pass on the controller. I felt the urge to play again and envied my friends who were playing at the moment, but knew that I had to share. All I would focus on was thinking about my next turn. I loved playing guitar hero so much that I decided on perusing it and purchasing it in order to step up my talent for the virtual instrument.

As I received the video game as a gift, I began the day I set my eyes on it. As the days passed by, I was going up levels by the week. I didn’t care if it would changed my personal image, I just wanted to have fun, and I eventually learned that breaking free from my stereotype brought me closer to my new best friend. Playing guitar hero has inspired me to challenge myself in video games and to never give up. Which is why I would recommend trying video games. Although people may say they are bad for you, they increase your hand/eye coordination and also help you become great at something new. It may seem hard and strange at first only because it isn’t in your routine, but you may notice when you try guitar hero, you may become addicted quickly.