Jamie - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe in my Christmas tree. I believe in every trinket and beautifully glowing light that gracefully hangs on each limb of my Christmas tree. I have always been truly in love with my tree and what it represents. My tree represents the meaning of Christmas, the joy of giving, and the blessings of family.

I believe in my Christmas tree because it represents the meaning of Christmas. The reason for the season is the birth of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Since I was a child, I have been told the story behind the first Christmas, which includes the birth of baby Jesus and the Three Wise Men giving gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to the miracle infant in a cold far away land. By giving presents, singing joyful songs, and assembling the Christmas tree with my family, I celebrate the true meaning behind the festive Christmas holiday traditions.

Another reason I believe in my Christmas tree is it represents giving. A feeling comes over me when I see a lack of presents underneath my Christmas tree. I immediately make a Christmas list and set a date to go shopping. I love shopping for others just so I can place beautifully wrapped gifts with big bows and colorful wrapping paper under my Christmas tree and see my friends’ and family’s faces light up when they notice the stylishly wrapped presents just for them underneath my Christmas tree, by now covered in tinsel and full of blinking multi-colored lights. During the Christmas season, I try to be selfless and think of others, not of myself. I get more satisfaction from giving than receiving.

Last but not least, I believe in my Christmas tree because it represents my family. Each ornament on my tree was hand-made by my late grandmother. Also, each ornament represents a person in my family with an animal character or picture symbolizing him or her with his or her name beautifully sewn on. Christmas trees are intended to characterize the personalities of the families who assembled them. My Christmas tree captures the personalities, love, and patience of my family who yearly help me put up the beloved tree.

Overall, I truly believe in my Christmas tree because it epitomizes the meaning of Christmas, the joy of giving, and the blessing of family. When I look at my Christmas tree, no matter what kind of day I have had, a huge smile appears upon my face. I get joy out of watching my friends and family rip apart a magnificently wrapped present that I bought for them and seeing their faces light up when the present they receive is what they wanted for Christmas. My family is one of the most important pieces of my life, and being able to sit around my six-foot tall Christmas tree covered in ornaments and candy canes and celebrate this wonderful Christmas holiday makes me feel extremely blessed and grateful to be a part of such an amazing celebration.