Tyra - St. David, Maine

Music is everything. Each song that has even been created since the beginning of time has affected someone is some way. Every memory that you make has a song to back it up, and every time that song plays and replays over and over again, you remember everything that was happening; what you were wearing, who you were with, and all of the smells, sounds, sights, and emotions you felt being to resurface.

Music is very evocative and powerful. Everyone knows that particular song makes you shed tears because the church sang it at your mother’s funeral services, or that legendary song by Journey makes your heart skip a beat, because it was heard during your first kiss. Maybe I am over reacting, and maybe this is all in my head, but this is how I feel after each and every song plays. I consider every lyric, each word, and each beat. Certain songs explain my life, and I just cannot let them slip away. Songs sang at the right time and place can make me cry or chuckle hysterically.

For example, certain lyrics from the song “Everything I’m Not” by The Veronica’s is very powerful to me. Each time this song plays, many emotions, such as anger, hurt, forgiveness, and love flood my heart and mind immediately. I believe that music has a different meaning for the listener and the writer. An artist might want the listeners to obtain a certain meaning, however the listener creates their own outlook and how it relates to their own life.

Music is also a great form of therapy. When I am having a terrible day, Good Charlotte, Chris Daughtry, or even Avril Lavigne help me along my way. Bands such as Bullet for My Valentine, Senses Fail, or Alexisonfire, on the other hand, sooth me when I am frustrated and upset, which would be quite ironic if you ever heard these bands before. Music is my savior and will always be a huge part of my life. Music is everything.