Mother Nature’s True Gift

Stefanie - Madawaska, Maine
Themes: nature

Think of the last time you were in your car, riding along the street, looking out the window at Mother Nature’s breathtaking work. There is the ever-present low hum of the motor along with the voices coming through the radio saying nothing much at all, but still we pay all of our attention to it. What is the difference between what is going on inside the car and what is outside? The answer is a simple word, technology. I believe that everyone should take a nice long, slow walk and appreciate everything in the natural world.

I believe in appreciating all the things that have to do with nature. Just a few weeks ago, I was overloaded with stress. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of some of this pressure, but it just kept building. Finally, one day I decided to go for a walk. Just a plain old walk along the street where I live, nothing too special, but the lesson that this walk taught me was almost overwhelming. The sound of birds chirping, water running, children laughing; all of these are sounds that you would expect to hear. I have a newfound respect for them. Each sound or scene I heard or saw seemed to carry a little bit of the stress as it drifted away. Small pleasant surprises. I had found a new respect and appreciation for nature.

Nature is a natural healer; it allows you to relax without being judged or pressured, yet it is always shoved in last place. If there is something that needs to be built or constructed, nature is always the one to suffer. I believe in looking outside at the animals, sky, and plants and appreciating the beauty of it without tearing it down to build a new mansion or highway. So anytime I feel stressed, I look toward nature. All the sounds and scenes that nature offers touch my eyes and ears and seems to calm me down and take me to a place without stress and worry. I am always amazed at how much better I will feel afterwards.