Audrey - Madawaska, Maine
Themes: carpe diem

We are all dying. Some faster than others, some more evidently than others. The truth of the matter is, that no matter where life takes us, our journey will have an endpoint. I don’t think that we should take this given time for granted. Someone only truly lives if they make something of their existence on the planet. I myself am not much of a religious person, nonetheless I believe that the point of life is to grow and make connections with people; to make an impact on them. Life is amazing.

Can you recall a time where you went to a certain place and you were completely blown away by its sheer beauty? Do you remember getting wide-eyed with awe and getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside; the one which causes your jaw to drop slightly? I can. When I went to New York City, I was astounded when the numerous sky scrapers came into view. I loved every minute of being on the busy streets. I loved the diversity of people and even the graffiti-covered subways. Some people may disagree with me. They may believe that this noisy, very busy city is filthy and dangerous. I think it is amazing. I believe that beauty lies in imperfection, and these imperfections are what made the city so incredibly beautiful to me. I managed to take in every second of my experience.

But you don’t necessarily have to be on a “journey” to take in what life has to offer. Have you ever been so moved by a life lesson? I recall feeling moved when I finally finished my favorite book which had several life lessons to offer. Okay, maybe that’s not the best example because not everyone is a bookworm like myself. But life lessons are learned through books, movies, and most importantly, your own experiences. I’ve learned to stop worrying about stupid things like how my hair looks because those little things shouldn’t matter. One of the most important lessons I have learned though is to enjoy your age and what it has to offer. I’ve learned to enjoy being a kid while I am one because I can’t relive that time. It’s ironic that when you’re a little kid the one thing you want is to be an adult, and when you’re an adult, there are several times when it seems like it would be much easier to return to your childhood; when your biggest concern was keeping track of your favorite toy or what your mom was making you for lunch that day. Time is one thing you can never regain, and you might as well enjoy every stage of life. If I am lucky enough to live a long life, I will enjoy being an adult, as I will enjoy growing old. Each age has its own thing to offer and has its own beauty.

My mother once told me that I was like a sponge because I absorb absolutely every lesson that I can in life. So yes, be aware that you will eventually move on, but don’t let that stop you from living life to the fullest each and every day.