One Final Step

Curtis - Madawaska, Maine

They say that no one lives long enough to learn everything in a lifetime. I never did believe it, although I was younger and not as wise when I first heard this. Yet this didn’t stop me in any way from doing what I wanted, and what I wanted was to be the best, to be remembered, and to never be forgotten. My father taught me, “some people see things as they are and say why, but I dream things that never were and say why not.”

To me, never giving up means to never stop trying to always accomplish the things you want in life, even if you have to reach a little bit farther to get there. The first time I ever had to take that extra step to accomplish what I wanted wasn’t easy. I had to really push myself to get it. Sometimes I may think it’s impossible to get something I want or to accomplish something I want, but this is exactly how it all comes together. When I reach a point in my life where I don’t think I can accomplish my goal or make that extra step I need, I stop for just a moment, and I think to myself, “Why hasn’t anyone ever been able to do this before, why am I having a hard time to do this?” Then I realize that it’s because people give up too early, people are asking why, just like it says in the saying. Then it hits me, I can be that one who dreams things and says “why not?” This is what completes it all, I am able to accomplish that last little step I needed the last little bit of thought and hard work to reach my goal. The first time I was ever put in a situation like this it was in a soccer game. It was almost the end of the game and the score was tied, and finally I had a chance to win it for the team. I realized that it would be hard and I would have to put a lot more energy in it. And right then I realized that I can do this, all I had to do was take that extra step. Which is exactly what I did, and I was able to score the goal to win the game. After this I thought to myself, why can’t I do this all the time, and I realized that I can. Since then I have always put that one final step to complete and accomplish what I am doing.