You Were Born An Original, Don’t Die a Copy

Jennifer - St. David, Maine

People wear masks, because they’re afraid. They are afraid of showing their true selves so instead they act just like everybody else. I used to be like that until I realized its easier to be yourself than someone you’re not.

If someone would have asked me, when I was younger, if I liked one thing more than the other, I would have said the same thing as other people, even if I might not have liked it. One time that happened was when someone asked me which character I liked the most from “7th Heaven” and I said, “I don’t know. Who do you like?” Once they said their response I agreed with them.

I was the kind of kid that followed everybody else. If my friends would like something, I would like it too. Like when everyone wore a certain pair of jeans, I just had to get myself a pair. I would try not to get things that would make me stick out. I wanted to just mesh in with everyone else.

There was this one time a girl and her group of friends were talking about their bucket hats. Then almost every girl had one, but me. She asked me if I had one and I replied no. She said that if you had one you were cool. So the first thing I did when I got home was ask my mom for a bucket hat that I would barely eventually wear.

Things like that happened a lot in my life. I had to get everything everyone else had. Now that I am getting older I realize that I do not have to follow everyone else to be liked. I just be myself and if no one likes it, well too bad for them. I used to want shoes that everybody else had. Now I try to find shoes that I like and I hope no one else will have. Just being myself saves so much time than trying to be who I’m not. I only have one life and I want to live it the way I want. In the end I would like people to remember me for who I was, and not who I was like. When I was younger, I would need a mask to tell people the truth. Now I don’t need that mask.