Technology of today

Aaron - 04756, Maine
Themes: science

Are you driven to acquire “the new and improved technology?” I recently bought myself an Xbox 360. Every time I would go to my friend’s house I would always stare at his Xbox and be extra careful with it. My friend and I would play on it for hours because I would refuse to do anything else. One time I came home and told my parents I wanted one they asked me the price and before I had time to finish, they said no. After weeks of convincing and help from my friends I finally convince them to let me buy it. I was so excited I told all my friends. The second it arrived in the mail I was setting it up and playing on it. I played it for hours on end until a week later it broke. I was so mad I almost broke my toe kicking the door.

Our whole lives revolve around technology and having the best and top of the line Ipod or Xbox. These machines tend to break and when they do, we are usually mad because we paid so much money for them we think there indestructible. Sure, these things give you pleasure in your free time but do you really need the newest thing that comes out? I’ve had the same MP3 player for two or three years I haven’t even bothered to buy an IPod because mine works fine. Knowing my luck I will buy the type of Ipod that never breaks and a couple of days later it will break.

Everyone wants a new cell phone even though theirs still works perfectly just because the other one has a new and improved camera that takes clearer pictures. Honestly, do you use your phone if you want clear pictures? I don’t think so. I don’t own a cell phone and I don’t think I will anytime soon because I have no use for one. I don’t travel much I have a home phone so why buy and expensive cell phone and an expensive plan that I won’t use. I have friends who complain that there cell phones is not the newest coolest one and I tell them do you really need the newest one and they answer not really but I want it. Currently we have the technology but it doesn’t mean that we have to buy every new thing that comes out. Our world today is coming out with new technology quicker than we can handle. We feel obligate to buy the newest thing because society pressures us into thinking that we have to have the newest thing to be “cool.” I have avoided buying the newest thing by buying second hand or using my brothers old MP3’s that he doesn’t use because he bought himself a new IPod.