Digging for Success

Lisa - Madawaska, Maine

“You want to dig around in dirt for the rest of your life?” my mother says in her usual sarcastic tone mocking my future career. She knows I will succeed in life; she just wants to make sure I love what I’m doing as well and she likes to joke around that Archeology won’t be the right choice even though she believes that I’ll be fine if I chose it.

In order to become an archeologist I believe I need to persevere as much as possible. I can not back down just because it turns out to be way more then I expected.

It’s like in ninth grade when I found a problem in this goal of mine. I found out that archeology involves a lot of science. I was completely taken aback. Let’s just say science has never been one of my stronger points. I had lost all hope and thought I had to start looking for a new career.

Finally this year I realized that I would still go to college to become an archeologist. If it didn’t work out in the end I could just chose another career. My parents have always taught me to do something I love and I know that this will be it. If I find myself struggling with it in the future I will change careers. Both my parents have more than once and they don’t regret it for the world.

Some people may ask why I am willing to take the chance of studying archeology if I’m not even certain it will last.

My answer is simply that I have always been interested in history and; teaching it, or talking about it in a museum isn’t enough. That has always seemed boring to me mostly because of the image history gets.

I’m not that interested in the stuff like the different political parties that countries have come to have and dates of events, but how people lived and what it was like. My main interest is in the Western Civilizations which have so much history.

It was during a trip to a college with my brother that I realized there was actually something fun that involved history. The college’s history teacher handed out some very old coins from Rome. It intrigued me so much that people found these in the ground. As soon as I got home I put the coins into a ring cleaner and went searching online about archeology. Ever since then I knew that was what I wanted to do with my life.

I know that what ever I chose to do in life whether it be digging for artifacts or becoming a historian I want to be happy doing it even if the salary isn’t the highest possible. I believe that if I set my mind to it one day I will be in Europe at an archeological dig site finding things beyond my wildest dreams. It will be amazing and I can’t wait for that day. I know I’ll have to work hard, but I think when it comes down to it I’ll be ready.