I believe in the Power of Song

Lucy - Greenwich, Connecticut

I believe in the power of singing. Every year, my family and our neighbors sing Christmas carols for every one on our street. Each year we have a similar routine: We ring the doorbell, sing two or three carols and move on to the next house. The neighbors are always glad to see us and no one seems bothered. This year, in the pouring rain we made an extra stop at the house of an elderly couple. An elderly gentleman opened the sliding glass door slowly and we began to sing. A weak smile appeared on his face as he tapped his feet to the carol. The adults inquired about how the gentle man was doing and then asked about his wife. He replied that his wife was not doing well, and that she had remained in bed for a few days now. Every one was silent until my seven year old neighbor began to sing Jingle Bells. One by one, each child joined in the song. Our jingle bells rang softly through the rainy night as we sang slightly off tune, but with all our being. The old man listened intently to our singing for a moment, then looked up at all of us and smiled.

I felt guilty that night as I thought about the old man and his wife. My only worries were what I was going to get for Christmas, while he had to spend his Christmas Eve wondering if his wife would be on this planet for next Christmas. I couldn’t magically cure the man’s wife, but my family and friends were able to bring a smile to his face through the power of song.

Song is a powerful way of connecting with those around us. Every one has sung a song in his or her lifetime and all people remember songs from their childhood. Songs remind many of better times when they could sing with a strong smile and when they had enough energy to sing with their entire being. Many songs portray strong emotions, which provide a healthy way to express ones feelings. Though formally thought of as a form of entertainment, singing for me is a form of therapy with true power to heal and strengthen.