Media Today

Levi - Tipton, Indiana

I believe the media influences every aspect of our lives. It is truly almost scary to think how much we are impacted by the flip of a channel. CNN or MTV is running this country more than the big guns in the oval office. Everything we eat, everything we wear, everything we do, we owe respect or disrespect towards television and the internet.

Walking down the halls of my high school I see people wearing the latest trends and listening to the latest music on their flashy new iPods or cell phones. It’s never enough for today’s generation to settle for something that another person may have. The next best thing is what everyone is looking for. I for one am a sucker for this. I go shopping with friends trying to find the newest clothes and the same shoes this person and that person had on TV. It seems so natural but it is the media enhancing our idea of how to look.

Politics are even being biased in the news today. You can’t watch a news channel without the reporter praising one candidate and bashing another. Advertisements are included in the media binge, showing how this candidate slipped up here and there while the man or woman who supported the message is a heavenly figure. The run for who will be crowned the Democratic candidate has been celebrated on TV so heavily and so long that people are losing sight that there is a Presidential election in a few months, containing two parties. I’m sure John McCain is loving how O’bama and Clinton are just battling it out until the end and giving McCain a bash-free pass for the time being.

I believe today the media has more say over this country than our government does. No one can walk the streets without using television’s model of the perfect young american in judging someone else. It’s a shame and it is only going to get worse. Correcting the problem only starts with recognizing the problem.