Thank You

Alex - Ellicott, Maryland
Themes: gratitude

Thank You

Just two simple words that is a expression of how much you appreciate another person. It is a remark to let the other person know that you are grateful for their help. It started off like any other morning, a weekday like any other. It was 7:00 am and time for me to get ready for school. Downstairs my mother waited with breakfast ready on the kitchen table as I sat down and ate my food in a hurry. “No matter how quickly you eat or how fast you drive to school you will only make it their five minutes earlier, it is not worth it, take your time” she said. But of course that was what she always said and like always I simple ignored her and continued on my inpatient ways. Thinking back on those times I never mention the words thank you to her. Thank you for breakfast, thank you lunch, for dinner, for supporting me in every way possible. That day we continued on our regular ways as I went to school and she went to work. It was a usual day of busy work and tedious instructions form teachers, but like everything in life, time only moves forward never backwards. So no matter how bad you think time is right now tomorrow could be a better day. That was my way of thinking as I was at school, what a naive and immature way of thinking. I was greedy and never knew how fortunate I was, but to my defense I was 15 years old then. The clock struck two o’clock, and the bell rang, like a wave crashing on the shore was what it seemed as the students flushed to all exits. I hurried home like always, rushed in the house and asked “where is my lunch” and there she was my mother already preparing something for me. “Go wash your hand and sit down, how was your day?” she asked. “Fine” I replied. I finished my lunch and left the dirty dishes on the table and rushed upstairs to my room to watch television. I fell asleep that day and woke up a couple hours later to start on my homework. I finished my two hardest subjects rather quickly and began to do my art homework. I dug through my back pack trying to find my art pencils, I realized that I left my material at school, but I needed those pencils to work on my project that was due the next day. I demanded my mother to go to the local market to pick up a set of pencils for me. She left that night to run an errand for me and never came back. It took a long time to learn that it was not my fault, but what I regret most was that I never said thank you. I never knew how good I had it until I lost it.