Money…the gateway to happiness??

Keri - Council, Idaho

Money…the gateway to happiness??

John Lennon once said, “Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? All the rest of you…if you’ll just rattle your jewelry.” When I read that quote I started to think about what he meant when he wrote it. I realized that he meant poor people and rich people are not treated equally, which is totally true! Myself though, I got something a little different out of it. I believe that a person doesn’t have to be rich to have a full and happy life.

Growing up I got most of the things I wanted, but not everything. I never could understand why I didn’t get everything the other kids in school had. It didn’t matter though because I had plenty of other things to do to keep me happy. Saying my favorite joke (knock-knock, who’s there, pizza, pizza who, Pete’s a nice guy!) would always get a laugh… even though the laughs were mostly from me. Also other things like jumping on my trampoline, and even playing in the irrigation ditch occupied the wandering mind of my childhood. Still the thought (though in the back of my mind) was still disturbing.

The summer before I started second grade, my family decided to move. After the school year started, I got familiar with the school and the people in it. Something was different though. The other kids had nice new clothes and I had a couple of new outfits (super cute by the way) and the rest of the time I would wear play clothes. It didn’t bother me at the time but as the next few years rolled on the fact started wearing in on me that my family wasn’t the same as everyone else’s. I kept my mind engaged in school and the charity club I formed with my friends in the fourth grade (we actually made it on the news!)

Now, currently in High School, I have realized that I don’t have to have money to be the person I want to be. Going through Junior High and starting High School, I have grasped the fact that I haven’t reflected on the fact that I don’t try to cheer myself up when I am sad or mad. Even if I am not happy, I go out of my way to cheer other people up when they have bad days. Whether I make a funny face (and most of the time it is just plain stupid), or crack off a knock-knock joke that is so dumb it is funny, I try to cheer them up. What makes me feel good is when other people are happy. So in a sense I guess one could say that I put other people’s happiness before my own, but when I think about it I would rather see the people around me be happy, especially if I can’t be.

Some say that money does not buy happiness, it only buys greed, and I agree totally! Being happy does not mean getting everything you want all the time. One must find ways to be happy. I don’t have a lot of money, yet I am just as happy as I can be. Just being alive is something to be happy about. Though I have had very few experiences in my life (some good, some bad, and some just plain RANDOM), I have found something to believe with all my heart. I believe in the power of laughter, and no amount of money can change that.