Beverly - Louiville, Kentucky

“If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything”, that’s what my parents tell me whenever I have trouble with something. Almost every day of my life I have been told this. I even want to try to believe it’s not true sometimes because I just get so tired of hearing it, but I know that it is true. When I was in seventh grade, I was in a cheerleading competition. When I went to the competition, I was sicker than a dog, but I made it through our routine without throwing up, although I did throw up afterwards.

I have always been taught to be goal oriented and try my best to accomplish those goals, but every time I tried to find a goal I could never think of one. I used to think that I wasn’t a goal oriented person, that I just didn’t have any goals for my life. But I’ve realized that I was wrong, everyone has a goal they want to accomplish whether it’s trying to find a boyfriend, getting a new car, saving for a college fund, or even making up with your family after you hurt them. I now know that goals don’t have to be huge like buying a house worth a million dollars and trying to figure out how many years it will take to save up for that house, but that goals can be small and short term.

Everyone has a different strategy for how they plan on achieving their goals. I strategize without even knowing it. I usually don’t know how I will achieve these goals, but if I really do want it to happen I’ll just go for it full on. I’ve known since my freshman year of high school that I would have to pay for my own car because my parents wouldn’t be able to buy one for me. So since the beginning of freshman year, I’ve been saving spare change and got a job at a retail store. I’m now a junior and I have finally saved enough to get my own car. I already know what car I’m getting and will even get it in a week or two. It’s so exciting to know that I’ve accomplished something that I’ve worked so hard on.

Ever since I was little I was told that if you put your mind on something, you can accomplish anything. I know that even though I get tired of hearing that from my parents, they’re giving me a little bit of their wisdom. With all my experiences and accomplishments from having myself, family, and friends push me to do the best. This I do believe.