Back in my day…

Rob - Ukiah, California
Themes: change

I believe that I should ever stop rolling with the changes, as REO Speedwagon once put it.

I believe that the point of life is to never stop growing and learning.

I once heard someone say something to effect of “you’ll never think things were better culturally than when you were 12 years old.”

I was born in 1983, so I guess that makes my golden year 1995. And it’s true–I think of the mid-90’s as a sort of collective renaissance for mankind. In this scary, uncertain, unnamed decade I’m trying to get to other side of currently, I look in the rear-view mirror at the last decade with increasing nostalgia.

I can’t help but love a period in history that produced and then celebrated “Seinfeld,” “Pulp Fiction” and Weezer’s “Blue Album.” And the relative peace, roaring economy and literate president I took for granted back then isn’t hurting the final decade of the 20th century’s case either.

But even after saying all that, I believe I have to be careful to continually look forward and not to get stuck in the 90’s, or at any period in my life for that matter.

Sure things back then seem great to me now, but I often cut the less appealing parts of the 90’s in my revisionist history.

Take actually being 12-years-old, for example.

Or attending high school.

Or my parents getting divorced.

I remember being a teenager and hearing adults get all misty-eyed when they’d tell me that these were “the best days of my life.” I also remember thinking that if that was true I’d better just do myself in right now and be done with it.

But I believe that it gets so much better. I believe that it always does if I’m ready for it.

Even after 9/11, the start of the Iraq War and the re-election of a functionally retarded chief executive, I’ve had some of the best experiences of my life.

I have lived, taught and traveled overseas.

I have a job doing one of my favorite things in the world–writing.

I have a wonderful girlfriend, I’ve made life-long friends and have had my already loving, supportive family increased exponentially in size with addition of my fantastic step-mom Debbie and her clan.

I believe I would have missed all this fun had I not been ready to accept it–and I still can’t wait to see what’s next.

But I still believe the 90’s were pretty awesome.