I believe in the power of one vote…

Susan - Houston, Texas

I believe in the power of one vote. My senior year in High School, my civics teacher gave each of us an elaborately decorated package on our birthday. My package came the last day of school as my birthday was in the summer. Inside the package was a voter’s registration form, with the note that read “If you don’t vote you can’t bitch.”

I took this very seriously after her course. Ms. Hancock was one of the most adamant and convincing teachers I had in school. She took the time to explain to each male student the implications associated with registering to vote as they would also be registering for the draft and while it was no longer being enforced it was an ever present danger should it ever be enacted again.

I have always been a registered independent, choosing to vote for the person, not the party. However, after recently relocating back to Texas I have yet to register to vote as none of the current slate of presidential candidates has shown me any reason to fulfill my obligation to participate in the current election. With the choices of the product of an interracial marriage running as a black man (hence, ignoring his white heritage), a former corporate attorney and wife of a former president out there trying to convince us she can, and is, speaking for the working-class people versus a 70 year old senator treating everyone as if we are poorly behaved children, I am just not finding that one “thing” that should compel me to participate. It frustrates and angers me to listen to NPR every morning and hear them all speak about repealing the federal gas tax (or not) to save me a couple of pennies over the summer while they jet around from place to place on a daily basis trying to convince the general public they are worthy of a vote for the next leader of the United States of America. It sickens me to listen to the stories of how I need to reduce my carbon footprint, well, how big is theirs? If they truly cared, NPR wouldn’t have had the story they did regarding Senator Clinton’s schedule as described on air last week.

Reportedly, millions of dollars are spent campaigning daily and for what? Couldn’t one of them send a couple of those million to the starving people of Haiti, or better yet, stand in front of a gas station and fill a couple of our tanks with gasoline – on their dime. Someone, give me something to make me believe you are the one, you are the person who will be able to get our soldiers out of Iraq, feed our hungry and find homes for our homeless, protect our nation and lead our country successfully for the next four years.

I’m sorry Ms. Hancock, I hope I haven’t let you down, the current slate of candidates has certainly let me down. Yet, I still believe…