Creencias Sencillas

Harli - Shepherdsville, Kentucky

What do I believe? When I looked at this topic, I thought, “Opinion paper. Sweet. That will be easy.” But every time I sat down to write, the same question hindered any progress. What do I believe? I tried so hard to make my paper deep or funny, but my mind kept returning to simple things that had no pizzazz, no punch. Then I realized: I don’t have to be deep; I just have to be honest. My insights do not have to draw tears or spawn laughter; they just have to be real. So I finally allowed myself to think and be honest with myself, and this is what I got: I believe in simplicity.

I believe in the simplicity of a smile. A smile sends such a powerful message. By smiling at someone we tell them, “Yes, I see you. Yes, you are important,” and sometimes that smile is all that is needed to get a person through a day. Choose to smile, choose to be happy. A smile can brighten my day just as much as it brightens another’s. I try to smile every day. Some days are easier than others, but on the hard days I just will myself to forget my various worries and concentrate on putting my teeth together and pulling up the corners of my mouth.

I believe in the simplicity of nature. The small workings of life around us all of the time are so easily ignored. So I stop and listen to a bird sing. I sit in the shade of a tree. I dance in the rain (all of the time). I take the time to get acquainted with my world, for neither I, nor it will last forever.

I believe in the simplicity of sleep. Sleep is a natural action (I’m pretty good at it if I do say so myself). It is hard to get in my eight hours a night every night, but I make the effort when I can. Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. I feel so much more refreshed in the mornings when I do sleep enough (mainly weekends…) and it makes for a better day in general.

I believe that the simplicity of everyday actions is what draws us together as humans. Every day we wake up, we breathe, we think (some more than others). You do this, and I do this. There is no distinction to whether you are black or white, whether you are Christian or Hindu, it just is. Simply by being human, I am linked to you and you are linked to me. The Circle of Life. Simple.