My Teammates

Paula - Reading, Massachusetts

My Teammates

There is no parent, friend, or fan that can understand the game of softball other than my teammates, coaches, and opponents. To me softball is more than just a game; it is a sport that has taught me determination, faith, and accountability, for these are reasons why I believe in my teammates. From the moment I step onto the field I know that they are there for the same reasons as I, we have a common goal and are working together to achieve it. My teammates have taught me what commitment and accountability is all about, we are all there for each other and would never want to let one another down. As a team we are willing to do whatever it takes, so that when we leave a game we have no regrets. My teammates are with me through my struggles and achievements, and as a team we learn how to be humble during a win, and gracious during a loss. There is no better feeling than running onto the field with my eight other teammates, because then is when I realize this is not an individual sport but we win being a team.

Being a teammate is more than just wearing the same uniform. It is a privilege to have someone that believes in you the same way you believe in them. We all know the work it takes to be a good player, we have all made sacrifices for each other, and understand the frustrations we have all endured. We play the game because it is hard, and everything we do off and during season, we do it for our teammates and ourselves. And when it all comes together it makes victories so sweet. I believe in my teammates because they have given me strength to never give up and have helped build up my confidence. They have taught me sportsmanship and respect; through this my character has become strong and stable. They have helped shape me into the athlete I am today. And they understand my ups and downs. Without my teammates I do not know what kind of athlete I would be today.

I believe in my teammates because they are the only ones who understand the level of commitment it takes to get where you want to go. They understand every hit, every fielded ball, every bruise, tear, and every emotion. If you ask anyone who has ever won a title, if they believed in their team, trust me they will say yes because they know they needed to, in order to win. So, I guess if you asked me why I believe in my teammates, it is because they believe in me.