It’s Where I Belong

Cassandra - Madawaska, Maine

It’s Sunday evening and I have a huge project I need to finish for Monday morning, but where will you find me? At a meeting with my Catholic Youth Ministry (CYM), just like the ones we have every other Sunday evening, no matter what’s going on the next day.

In my family, we have always had a strong Catholic faith. My mother took me to church every Sunday, and taught my sister and I about our faith. I had seen the Catholic Youth Ministry group around a couple times before and always looked up to them. They always had huge smiles, and looked like they were having so much fun. As I got older I realized that this was something I’d probably like, so as soon as I could sign up, I did. I participated in the first few events and meetings with an open mind and heart, and loved it.

Everything is so fun and faith-filled. I am learning a lot and it’s interesting. Also, when I’m with the people from this group, I feel like we’re all part of this bond, like being part of one big happy family. It’s absolutely amazing, how just being with them makes me feel so fulfilled. I have never felt anything like this anywhere else, not even Disney World! The presence of God is in every single person there, and when everyone’s together it is powerful.

There is this song that the CYM sings as a group sometimes, that really embodies how I view my CYM group; it is called “We Are One Body”. The song has a line of lyrics in the chorus that says; “We are one body, one body in Christ, and we do not stand alone.” It is my favorite part of the song because I know in my heart that it’s so true.

It’s hard for me to describe how I feel about my CYM group. Being together is just so incredible and makes me feel so great inside, that it sometimes brings me tears of joy and a never-ending smile. The feeling that I get is over-whelming, but at the same time indescribable.

I don’t know if I can pinpoint the exact way CYM has changed my life, I just know it has. CYM has brought me many true friends that I might not have found on my own. I believe that I’m much happier, and much more at peace because of this group.

Catholic Youth Ministry may not be for everyone, because not everyone is like me, but I think everyone has something they can be a part of. I felt it, and still feel it, because when I’m with the CYM I know that’s where I am meant to be. Let me tell you, there is nothing better than feeling like you belong.