Sometimes You Have to Crash

Nathan - Madawaska, Maine

There’s always one thing that people do that drives me absolutely insane. But it’s disappointing how people can just give up like that. When are people just going to learn that giving up gets you nowhere?

My brother is probably the most perfect example of this that I could ever think of. If he doesn’t know how to do something the first time he tries it out, he gives up, or says, “It’s not my thing.” How could he possibly know that it’s not his thing if it’s the first time he ever tried it out? Having said that, I’d be lying if I said that I have never given up on something the first time trying it.

I’ll never forget the time I tried snowboarding out for the first time. On a recent day, our gym class went skiing or snowboarding. I figured that it would be a good idea to try snowboarding to see if I’d like it better than skiing. People told me that skiing was going to be difficult, but I got the hang of it by the second time that I went. So, when people had told me that snowboarding was difficult, I simply assumed that it would turn out the same way that skiing did. So I figured that I would catch on a little by the end of the day. Well, things didn’t really go as planned. My first run down the mountain was a disaster. I couldn’t turn at all. So I nearly crashed into trees the whole way down. The only thing I had to say once I reached the bottom of the hill was, “Am I allowed to switch back to skis?” Luckily, I switched back to skis, but I was still charged half a rental fee. All I kept thinking for the rest of the day was how I knew that I knew that I would have gotten better if I would have stuck with it.

If you really think about it, how can you get remotely decent at something by trying it one time? Look at all the professional athletes out there, there’s no doubt that they definitely did not play that sport once or twice to get as great as they are. It took years of time and effort to achieve that kind of greatness. So give yourself a chance to achieve greatness like your heroes and role models, and don’t give up.