Being Origional is The Key to Being Yourself

Nicholas - Madawaska, Maine

People are judged everyday; not by their actions but by what type of clothing they wear. I believe society has become more and more judgmental of people as time goes on. Everyone just seems to assume what type of person you are by what you wear. Even I used to be one of those people.

I believe people should act themselves and be original. If you act yourself and are never a crowd follower then you are more prone to understanding who you are and who you want to be. Sadly, people tend to do the total opposite of that and judge people just because they may not look like them.

Myspace, MSN, Myyearbook, Facebook are all sites where looks are everything. With just a picture and a name, you can judge a person you’ve never met. Sounds somewhat cruel doesn’t it? The “preps” and the “Goths” are just two of the groups who judge each other every day.

Myyearbook is mainly just a place for people to judge each other. They even have a forum section on their site that is labeled “cliques”, and it gives the options of, emo, goth, band, prep, etc. How cruel is that? Definitely horrible. There shouldn’t be five categories to set everyone in because everyone is different and unique.

With all of these opportunities for cruel people to create chaos, I found myself witnessing a loud mouth that got everyone fighting. A girl posted a blog saying things like, “ Seriously, why do emo people hate on us so much? We are like so much richer and are like so much hotter than them.” Following the blog were thousands and thousands of comments of people who were furious and mainly screaming at her. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first read it. I didn’t ever think someone could ever be so selfish or cruel. I guess I was proved wrong.

Trying to look and talk like certain people seems to be the “cool” thing to do. No one wants to always see a stereotype of other people. They want to see someone who is unique and stands out amongst other people. This I believe.