Where Are You Going

Timothy - St. David, Maine

Sometimes I ask myself,” What does the future hold for me?” The future is something that everyone thinks about and sometimes looks forward to. The future may bring many hardships to your life and may also bring more blessings. I have always wondered what the future has in store for the world and where time will take me. What comes to your mind when you hear the word “future”? I know the first thing that comes to my mind is space flight and “star trek”, probably because I love science fiction and “sci-fi” is often associated with the future.

Well, I believe that the future is what you make of it. “For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.” It is okay to worry about the future as long as you do something to prevent your worries from becoming true. Well I believe that one way to prepare for your future and avoid your worries is to set goals in your own life. “If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable”. With that said, I believe an example of a universal goal is attending school in the early stages of your life so you may prepare for your future career. Your career will shape the standards that you and your family will live by. This is done by many and is considered a goal.

An example of setting goals that I have experienced is when playing basketball. I had never really practiced often at home, yet I played well because the coaches played me most of the time. Last summer I set a goal to practice as often as I could by setting my priorities. Doing things with my friends came before basketball, but I was determined, so every chance I had of spare time I played. Whether it was ten minutes or two hours, I was playing basketball. That was what I call a “sub” goal because I had a larger idea in mind. My more important or “true” goal was to start during the varsity basketball games in the upcoming season. My goals were met because I set one to accomplish the other. I started every game but one.

As you can see, setting goals worked out perfectly for me. However, goals may not always work out the way we want them to. I set myself a reasonable goal, one I knew I could achieve. So, go out and set a goal, accomplish something awesome in your life.